Securing An Internship
The end of term two is fast approaching, and many of us will be searching for those summer internships. Here are a few top tips to help you along the way:
• Check you are well-suited for the internships you apply for and carefully consider whether you meet their requirements.
• Use LinkedIn the professional social media network to build your résumé; it is much more professional than Facebook. On the Facebook note, ensure all of your social media accounts represent you in a positive way, maybe don’t post pictures of any bad nights out at the SU!
• Customize your résumé for each internship you apply for, ensuring you create a new cover letter for each application.
• Honesty is definitely the best policy. Don’t hyperbolise information, be accurate, it could come back to bite you in the …
• Proof read your résumé numerous times to ensure there are no misspellings, grammatical errors or informal language.
• Meet the deadline for applications and interviews! Think of it like an essay, if you are up to 24 hours late you are 10% less likely to secure that internship, later than that and it will probably be a 0 chance of you being on that internship this summer.
• Prepare for interviews by getting friends and family to give you a mock interview and prepare you for on the spot and obscure questions.
• Finally, be proactive, make a positive impression, show an interest in the position by researching the company to gain key information prior to a physical or phone call interviews.
Remember you are entering a professional world which could aid your future career, so follow the tips above and start applying now!